Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Frame Games

All this snow had me itching for a project today.
So I made a bulletin board...

It was quick and easy.

Best of all, it was inexpensive!

But still functional and pretty!



I started off with this gold frame I purchased over the summer from the Stormville Flea Market. Once I started priming I realized I forgot the "before" shot but you can still see the gold here.

This was the painting that came in the frame. Not really my style, but I knew the frame was just what I was looking for. I ended up paying 12.00 for the combo because the seller wouldn't let me purchase the frame alone. Understandable, and still a bargain. So, I just popped out the painting before I began spraying. What a difference a coat of paint makes!




The correct way to make a bulletin board is to use cork, but I had none here and my impatience led me to seek an alternative material. I remembered I had a few large pieces of white foam board from Hobby Lobby in the basement.
(FYI-I've also spied the same board at the Dollar Tree)
Perfect! I just measured it and cut it to fit the frame.
I used a piece of fabric I had in my stash from Etsy. The colors and print on this soft sheet like material are so beautiful and I was excited to finally have a place to use it! I simply cut it a bit larger than the foam board and stapled around the back edges. There's still some left over-Bonus!
But what could I use for thumb tacks?



Why not faux pearl earrings from Forever 21?! I paid just 3.80 for six pairs back in August but I never wore any of them. It was finally time to put them to good use.



I'll have to go through Noa's art work tomorrow to find some masterpieces to tack up!

Now I just need the perfect desk for underneath the new bulletin board.
I'm thinking the white West Elm Parsons table!

The earrings actually stick very tightly into the foam board but they are still easy enough to move around if I need to change them.

I am quite pleased with the results of my snow day DIY!

I hope you had a good day too!
Vanessa

2 comments: