Friday, February 26, 2010

Nice and Toasty

After six years, we finally started using our fireplace to keep us warm. I love the coziness a crackling fire adds to these snowy days.

When we first moved in, the multi-colored brick on the fireplace was covered with panelling. To expose the stone, we pulled the panels down and I painted the entire surface white.

Our mantle is constantly rotating but I like to keep it very simple. The distressed patina on the antique coat rack livens it up a bit. As does my absolute favorite scented candle of all time...

Capri Blue's Volcano candle in the turquoise jar from Anthropologie. It smells so light and fresh and it really fills the whole house with its scent. The jar itself is so beautiful too. Even after the candle has gone, the glass jar can be put to many uses. In addition to the Volcano candles, I love having a bunch of unscented ones on hand and I often keep some of my stock in the glass hurricanes on the mantle.
They look pretty even when not lit.


For a little hint of light pink, I keep this discarded piece of rusted tin that I found in a thrift shop in nearby Beacon, NY...


It looks like someone spray painted over a branch of leaves to create the pattern. I love the simplicity and worn beauty of this piece. It's actually much lighter in person, but you get the idea. In case you haven't noticed, I'm quite drawn to turquoise and pink accents!

Much of what I put on display are usually pieces I really love. I don't like to have too much clutter around, so I have to really like something for it to remain. The small turquoise pillar holder is one of my favorite things...

I love the tiny red heart on it-probably the only red in my whole house! The distressed metal floral pillar holder is another one of my true favorites...

This was a TJ Maxx clearance find for just 6.99! The etched glass jar on the right and the small votive holder in front are also from TJ's...

The stone birdie is another permanent fixture here...

I found it at a thrift store in Hudson, NY. It sits on a piece of turquoise patterned paper-part of an invitation that I simply cut in half and kept because I loved the decorative leaf print! The small but very heavy toile stool on the floor is also from TJ Maxx and is where Noa sits to "play markers". She loves using the fireplace as her desk to color and be creative-it's just her height!


Now that I think about it, I guess the fireplace adds warmth to our home even when it's "off"!
Have a good day!
Vanessa

1 comment: